Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Music!

Today was a relaxed but somewhat bittersweet day: breakfast at a sidewalk cafe, a walk to one or two new spots in the neighborhood, and a visit to some of my favorite places, including some time spent sitting and watching the river go by. I also made a few last purchases (mostly chocolate to bring home for friends). Then it was back to the apartment to pack and clean the place up a bit.

This evening when I went down to take one last stroll through the Place des Vosges, I found the place bubbling with activity. I knew there was a city-wide music festival today to celebrate the summer solstice, but I didn't realize there would be so much music in this neighborhood. Instead of taking a slow quiet walk, I wound up following a marching percussion band around the outside of the square with the rest of the crowd and then moving from band to band (klezmer, a drumming circle, what sounded like American folk and several types of French folk, etc.). I would guess there were 6 or 8 different groups around the square. The park emptied out peacefully at its normal 9:30 closing time, but the music continues on the streets surrounding the Place. There are amplified rock bands at either end of the street the apartment is on (I just heard an energetic version of "I Will Survive"), so I suspect it will be a noisy night here. We're leaving for the airport at 5:30 a.m., but I don't really mind the ruckus. My last memories of this visit will be of my borrowed Paris neighborhood ringing with music and of people singing and dancing and enjoying the long summer evening. What a perfect way to end my stay here.

No comments: